Jobs: Associate Editor (English and Spanish)
The Associate Editor will support the Content and Editorial Director in producing print and digital publications in both English and Spanish. Some copy needs are in English or Spanish only, and some in both languages. The Associate Editor must be a strong writer and editor in both languages.
The Associate Editor will handle materials in layout in InDesign as well as in content management systems for websites, and will also help to coordinate freelance editors, writers and designers as well as in-house personnel.
Print and digital educational resources which the Associate Editor may work on include Lambda Legal’s Spanish-language educational materials, including as its Know Your Rights online hubs, its Spanish-language website and Spanish-language educational toolkits, as well as Lambda Legal’s English-language resources, including Know Your Rights hubs, its annual report, its national membership magazine, Impact, educational toolkits, fact sheets and other materials as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the supervision of the Content and Editorial Director, draft, edit and proofread educational materials about LGBT and HIV-related rights;
- Translate, draft and edit content in Spanish;
- Participate in project launch and planning meetings
- Seek and coordinate review of content from attorneys and other stakeholders;
- Oversee project plans to ensure timely completion, including coordination with content authors, designers, and producers of print and digital products;
- General administrative support for the Content and Editorial Director.
- Other duties as necessary.
- At least two years experience in a writing or editorial position at a media company or nonprofit;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with strong written fluency in both languages;
- High proficiency and attention to detail with respect to word usage and copy style in both English and Spanish, especially as they pertain to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected communities;
- Experience working with freelancers and vendors in writing, design, printing and other areas;
- Knowledge of LGBT, HIV and legal issues and language;
- Experience entering copy in content management systems.
- Knowledge of InDesign and some HTML is a plus.
- Strong organizational, time management and communications skills, as well as attention to detail and accuracy.
Compensation is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit organization. Excellent employer-paid benefits package is provided including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and generous employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.
Submit resumes, cover letters and link to portfolio or work samples to email@example.com. Enter “Associate Editor” in the subject line.
Candidate review will begin December 10, 2013, and continue until position is filled.
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested.
Lambda Legal is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people of all gender identities and gender expressions, and people with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.