Jobs: Diversity and Inclusion Program Educator
Lambda Legal seeks a full-time Diversity and Inclusion Program Educator in its Education and Public Affairs Department to advance our multicultural program efforts.
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas.
The Education and Public Affairs (EPA) Department leads community education, communications and marketing. EPA goals are to influence the national debate, create public support for Lambda Legal’s impact litigation and for laws that lead to LGBT and HIV equality. EPA reports and explains our work, teaches people about their rights, and amplifies the voices of our experts and of affected communities. EPA also forges strategic partnerships with allies, coalitions and policy makers.
Multicultural Programming Mission
Lambda Legal’s multicultural programming efforts aim to increase the inclusion of low-income people and people of color in its program work and to find ways that our program work can better address the issues that affect low-income people and people of color who are LGBT and/or living with HIV.
Under the direction of the Director of Diversity and Inclusion and Proyecto Igualdad, the Diversity and Inclusion Program Educator will help develop and implement national and regional outreach, educational and advocacy programs to engage and improve the legal and lived equality of low-income people and people of color who are LGBT and/or living with HIV. The Educator will help strengthen and carry out Lambda Legal’s existing work including Proyecto Igualdad, Lambda Legal’s Latino outreach project, and conceptualize and carry out new ideas and strategies. The Educator will help develop and maintain systems to document and evaluate Lambda Legal’s multicultural program initiatives and fully integrate diversity and inclusion goals into the organization’s work.
Develop and implement national and regional strategies and programs
- Research information regarding Lambda Legal’s program priorities and intersectional issues affecting people of color, low income and immigrant communities and develop tools to educate and increase cultural competency of internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and expand partnerships with organizations and advocates to plan joint projects and campaigns to increase the acceptance, inclusion and lived equality of low-income and people of color who are LGBT and/or living with HIV, as well as to advance other shared interests.
- Plan and execute events, workshops and meetings and assist in the development of educational materials, webinars, blog posts and other communications;
- Speak at conferences, meetings, forums and events.
- Develop systems and tools for organizational relationship management.
Help increase Lambda Legal’s ability to carry out, monitor and evaluate our multicultural program activities
- Compile and analyze pertinent performance data about the multicultural advocacy work of the organization.
- Provide administrative support to the Multicultural Program Committee.
- Assist with other programmatic and administrative work.
Successful applicants must have:
- a passion for issue advocacy and knowledge of LGBT and HIV rights, racial and economic justice issues and social justice and civil rights organizations;
- at least three to four years of program leadership and a track record of successful grassroots or grasstops organizing, political campaigning, coalition building, training and/or advocacy;
- strong communication skills and ability to convey legal and other complex issues in clear terms for non-lawyer audiences;
- experience building collaborative relationships with partners;
- a high level of independence, initiative, creativity, judgment, and an enthusiasm for working with others; and
- a driver’s license and ability to travel extensively in the United States.
Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit organization. Excellent employer-paid benefits package is provided including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and generous employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.
Send resume and cover letter to Edwin Tablada, EPA and Community Education Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the words, “Diversity and Inclusion Program” in the subject line of your email.
Candidate review will begin February 3, 2014, and continue until position is filled. No calls please.
Lambda Legal is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people of all gender identities and gender expressions, and people with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.