On National Coming Out Day we celebrate the LGBTQ+ community, encourage people to live openly and proudly, and take a stand against homophobia and transphobia. Every time we muster the courage to come out, we affirm our right to human dignity and an equal place in the world.
Coming out has been and continues to be one of the strongest and most effective statements we can make on a daily basis. The number of people who have come out in their personal lives and in public positions – celebrities, elected officials, artists, business leaders and professional athletes – is growing and is reminder that the LGBTQ+ community is large, loud, and proud.
But the news is not all good. Many LGBTQ+ people around the country are still vulnerable to violence and discrimination. LGBTQ+ youth are far too often the targets of bullying or are rejected by their families, and the number of transgender and gender nonconforming people that are at risk of violence are frightening. For too many LGBTQ+ people, coming out is not a safe option. We see you and support you on your journey.
34 years later, National Coming Out Day is still as important today as it was then. Lambda Legal and each one of us must continue to do whatever we can to make our communities and country safer so that no one feels the need to hide. If you have experienced discrimination or need assistance or advice about legal matters, Lambda Legal’s Help Desk is here for you.
List of resources for LGBTQ+ people of all ages.
For LGBTQ+ Youth
- Know Your Rights: LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adults — A guide designed to help LGBTQ+ teens and young adults know your rights and make sure they’re respected.
- Getting Down to Basics — A tool kit designed to ensure that LGBTQ+ young people in care receive the support and services they deserve.
- Recommended Practices — A tool kit designed to promote the safety and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth and youth at risk of or living with HIV in child welfare settings.
- Resources for LGBTQ+ Youth — A list of state-by-state and national organizations.
For Transgender People
- Know Your Rights: Transgender — An online legal guide for trans people and their advocates.
- Transgender Rights Toolkit — A tool kit for trans people and their advocates.
- Out At Work — A tool kit designed to give you the information you need to help guide you through your work life.
- Out, Safe & Respected for Educators & Parents — A booklet designed to help parents and educators develop safe, nurturing school environments for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ+) students.
- In Your State — A state-by-state guide of legal protections for LGBTQ+ people and their families.