As thousands of gay and lesbian couples joyously celebrate their new freedom to marry in California, LGBT organizations urge people to protect marriage equality, while encouraging people who marry to make change, not lawsuits.
On June 17, same-sex couples began receiving marriage licenses from the state of California. Star Trek’s George Takei and his soon-to-be husband Brad Altman were first in a line of hundreds. Also receiving their marriage license were Lambda Legal Senior Counsel Jennifer C. Pizer and her partner Doreena Wong.
But an antigay ballot initiative threatens to change the California Constitution come November. We cannot let that happen. This is truly a historic occasion for our community, but we must stand together and do all we can to protect marriage equality. Visit EqualityForAll.com to find out how you can help.
- California Supreme Court Decision: In re Marriage Cases
- Respondents’ Answer to Petition for Rehearing
- Petition to Invalidate Ballot Initiative
- Lambda Legal Analysis: What the Supreme Court Said
- FAQ: What You Need To Know About Getting Married In CA
- FAQ: Traveling to Another State or Country to Marry?
- Lambda Legal Relationships Resources Page
- An Inspiring Victory for Fairness and Opportunity: Statement by Jennifer C. Pizer, Lambda Legal Senior Counsel
- Press Release: Lesbian and Gay Couples Win Freedom To Marry In CA
- Press Release: California Supreme Court Urged Not to Delay Marriages
- “Should Marriage for Same-Sex Couples be Legal?” Lambda Legal Debates the Alliance Defense Fund on OpposingViews.com
- LA Times Dust-Up: Lambda Legal’s Jon Davidson and Alliance Defense Fund’s Glen Lavy debate
- CA Supreme Court Rules on Bennett v. Bowen